I agree with your comments Abe. I am one of those "purpose" buyers and get very frustrated that items I seek are sometimes already sold when I get into the show. I don't get the early pass or anything, but I can briskly walk the aisles and find something I would have paid X amount more than it already sold for, but it was either traded or sold outright to one of the other dealers prior to opening the show to the general public. I'm not much of a fan of the "retail" part of the shows. Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: Abe Feder <abefed...@gmail.com>
To: Antique Phonograph List <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Wed, Aug 18, 2010 1:30 pm
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] CAPS

Hi All,
While my view of the show was a short one-I drove in from Mesa Az. with my wife to pick up a machine that I had bought from CL in Portland that Jerry was kind enough to go look at and haul to the show-and turned around in an hour or so and drove back-I think it is just a reflection of what is taking place in the economy. While I do art restoration I do own a retail picture frame and art shop and I can tell you business stinks!. It has for 3 years and I think it will for at least 3 more. The "retail" side of this show is just Sunday and while some machines may change hands before and there may have been a lot of good ones at the show that is not a true indication of what has taken place. Sunday is. That is when someone who may have a casual interest in just getting a machine, or who has just gotten into the hobby is going to show up and "shop". I know that the dealers and hobbyists that I talked to at around 1:30 or so said that they had sold some small stuff and that makes sense it fits what is taking place on the street. Here in Az. CL has exploded with common machines that people have listed because they need
to sell stuff to get some money or they are leaving to get work and they
don't want to haul stuff that they do not use or need. I had some money to spend- that I had saved during the year but I was already tired and when we
got the credenza loaded into my wife's Jeep Liberty there was no room
anyway. There was a really nice-God Forbid Me-Zenith radio that I would have bought but I had no room. But what took place at the show is what is taking place at my shop. There are no "causal" buyers coming in anymore-but there
are still "purpose" buyers out there and you just have to hope that one
comes your way. Next year I will come again-maybe get a table but the show was a good one and we just have to keep at it. I really liked the fact that there were some good machines there and a fair number of them as well. But as I said before collectors and dealers selling to each other does not tell
the story-the show is spot on to our economy.
Abe Feder