I can see Ron's point, but how many people actually see such buys
locally? I have an extensive collection of advertising signs but have
never even found one locally (well I have found a couple at a
quarterly antique show full of out of town dealers in my city). And to
find a $1500 lamp phonograph seems like a very unlikely occurance.
But, things do come up occasionally for better deals at estate sales
and such. I can't see how you could really fill out much of a
collection with local buys. At least not in my area. Without knowing
others that bring things to my attention and access to the quality
that are at the shows, I wouldn't have much of anything. So, yes it
would be wonderful to find everything locally for great prices. But,
in my experience those deals are few and far between.

Dan