Hi All ~

A customer of mine bought an Edison cylinder player and horn from this seller. It was packed extraordinarily poorly with minimal and haphazard filler -- may have been crumpled newspaper. The machine arrived with a broken cabinet top, and the horn had some end-to-end compression damage. He asked me what he should do and I told him to bring everything over so I could see it, with the boxes and packing just as he received them. I wanted to get a sense of the extent of the damage, the relative task of repairs, general reduced value so he could try to get some compensation, or if he should just send everything back and be done with it.

I couldn't believe how the horn was packed -- one large box that could only contain about 2/3 of the horn, with a small box taped on top to cover the narrow end. No inner box, just these two taped together like a two-layer cake. Just imagine how an arrangement like this must get toppled and battered during the typical UPS transfer station and stacking situations. In emails that my friend bcc'd to me, the seller claimed that he has shipped horns for years packed like this and has never had one damaged. Yeah, right!

I advised that the machine and horn should be sent back, which my friend reluctantly did.

The seller made promise after broken promise to compensate, benignly at first and persistently evasive as to how much or when, but never came through. And time was passing. I pointed out to my friend that he was entitled to buyer protection, but was in his last couple of days before the deadline to file a complaint. My friend is a nice guy -- not good with confrontation, was allowing this seller to take advantage of him, and was giving the seller every possible benefit of the doubt, much to my frustration. The seller had managed to string him along, I'm sure while counting down the days until his own liability disappeared. It was maddening to helplessly watch from the sidelines, and so clear what the outcome was shaping up to be.

Finally on the last day he could do it, my friend filed a complaint with Ebay. At this point the seller turned vicious and accusatory in private emails to my friend, blaming him for damaging a perfectly good machine and horn, while at the same time claiming to eBay that the horn was packed properly, etc. The eBay mediator my friend talked to apparently told him that the seller even tried to claim that the buyer had kept the perfect phonograph and sent back a damaged one. It was just bizarre. The guy would say anything.

To make a long story short(er), eBay paid my friend in full, shipping and all. I must assume that this is far from an isolated story with regard to this seller, and it chagrins me that he's still able to sell. I believe that when eBay pays a buyer protection claim it precludes a negative feedback being left for the buyer (correct me if I'm wrong on this, if anyone knows better). Something wrong with the system?

A final note is that I too was wondering what the guy's full name was, and recall looking at the "from" name and address written on the box flaps. He was using someone else's name, a woman's name if I recall, and using a different shipped-from address. I think he might have signed one of his emails "John". Who knows if even this is his name?

Andy