I hope I don't get any flack from everyone on the list about this method, but I
have used it for many years on Blue Amberols (ONLY) or indestructibles - no wax
cylinders. Spray WD-40 on a soft cloth and wipe the cylinders, while rotating
them to remove ages of dirt, etc. from the grooves. Then wipe again with a
clean cloth and play them through. It not only cleans, but adds a little
lubrication to the celluloid and does not deteriorate it or degrade it in any
way, it actually improves the sound quality on some cylinders... Just my 2
cents, which is worth just that... 2 cents. I also use this method on 78's and
have never had any issues... NEVER use alcohol...Curt