Yes, except the 160 was not very accurately determined. Radial shrinkage after molding is not uniform either.

On 07/12/2011 04:30 PM, Glenn Longwell wrote:
This follows Robert's thoughts as well (I think).  This is all about in-plane
shrinkage.  So the original cylinder is longer to accommodate this shrinkage and
the speed at which the cutter would move laterally across the cylinder would
have to be slightly faster.  However, wouldn't the recording speed still be
160rpm?

Glenn

________________________________
From: "allena...@aol.com"<allena...@aol.com>
To: phono-l@oldcrank.org
Sent: Tue, July 12, 2011 4:34:21 PM
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] shrinking cylinder speed?

In a message dated 7/12/2011 3:56:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
esrobe...@hotmail.com writes:

I've  never heard of this.  Must be a fascinating read.  Where did you
hear about cylinders being recorded at a different speed than the intended
playback?

----------------
that has to be the case because the physical (molded) cylinders sold to the
public are not the identical cylinders that were mastered. There are usual
a  couple of steps, generating sub-masters, and each step causes shrinkage
of the  resulting cylinder as it comes out of the mold.

   A 2-minute style Edison wax cylinder would probably be recorded  around
97+ tpi when it was in the studio, and in two interim steps, result in a  100
tpi final gold-molded version sold to his customers. It is an interesting
question as to the parallel impact on the subsequent rpm's.

Allen
_www.phonobooks.com_ (http://www.phonobooks.com)