The shrink on a BA can be enough to run out of lateral travel on the reproducer before you run out of the record.

On 07/12/2011 05:22 PM, Robert Wright wrote:

It would indeed, Glenn!  Rich's last comment helped me understand this -- one of the original
questions was regarding playback rpm, so I've been thinking in terms of concert pitch, which
wouldn't be affected by shrinkage, instead of lateral pitch, i.e., the lines per inch, which
certainly would.  Since Edison's team used to refer to lines per inch as 'pitch', i.e. "2
minute pitch" or "a pitch of 100 lines per inch", etc., it's easy to get confused.
It totally makes sense now.  Musical pitch would indeed remain constant.  Thanks to you both for
the clarification!
I guess we should be thankful that the amount of lateral shrinkage could never
exceed the amount of play in most reproducers -- more foresight from our
benevolent meisterinventor, or happy accident, who knows? :-)  (Is it ironic
that they cut at 97tpi for manufactured playback at 100tpi, and 100 yrs later
it's probably closer to 97tpi?)

Best, Robert

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 14:30:21 -0700
From: majesticrec...@snet.net
To: phono-l@oldcrank.org
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] shrinking cylinder speed?

This follows Robert's thoughts as well (I think).  This is all about in-plane
shrinkage.  So the original cylinder is longer to accommodate this shrinkage and
the speed at which the cutter would move laterally across the cylinder would
have to be slightly faster.  However, wouldn't the recording speed still be
160rpm?

Glenn

From: rich-m...@octoxol.com>>  To: phono-l@oldcrank.org>>  Subject: Re: [Phono-L] shrinking
cylinder speed?>>>>  The pitch of the lead screw was adjusted for shrink for linear shrink.