I have a new crane here that is too tall, maybe we can trade.
-Barry

On 8/6/2011 11:48 AM, john robles wrote:
Hello all
I recently purchased an original cygnet suspension spring. All of my Cygnet
hardware was original with the exception of the spring, so it seemed like a
golden opportunity. What I didn't consider was the strength (or lack thereof)
of an original spring.  It seems this one is weak enough that I have to crank
the susension bolt all the way to the bottom in order to have the horn hang
correctly, and even then it is putting a little too much pressure on the
carriage to the point that records repeat grooves. I use a tizit to help the
carriage move freely but even this doesn't help, and shortening the rubber
connector wouldn't do much. Here's my question: Would it be blaspemy to cut a
few coils off the original spring in order to alleviate the problem? I hate to
have spent the money only to have a spring I can't use.
The other solution is to get a different crane. I have a number 10 crane, and I
read that there were different sized cranes for different options. I am going
to be installing a top mount carriage and a model O reproducer, and I
understaned there was a Model O crane that was taller than the number 10.
Anyone seen one of these? Anyone got a longer lower portion they would trade??
Thanks!
John Robles.