Congratulations, Andy, on getting this priceless piece of history restored to full functionality. That must have been a privelege as well as great fun to do. What a wonderful challenge in trying to figure out what each piece of the mechanism did. I'm constantly amazed at the delicacy and precision of mechanisms such as watches and timepieces that were made hundreds of years ago. I have often wondered how these precision mechs were even made so many years ago before the availability of modern materials and processes. I'm always fascinated by this stuff. Thanks for the link.

Greg Bogantz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Baron" <a...@popyrus.com>
To: "Antique Phonograph List" <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:00 PM
Subject: [Phono-L] OT: clockwork automaton article in NY Times today

For those phonograph enthusiasts whose interests extend into other mechanical realms, Today's edition of the New York Times (Science Times section) ran an article about the drawing/writing automaton that restored for Philadelphia's Franklin Institute Science Museum.

Here's the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/science/maillardet-automaton-inspired-martin-scorseses-film-hugo.html?_r=2&seid=auto&smid=tw-nytimes&pagewanted=all

Best to all,
Andrew Baron