Over the years, I seen various references from the mid-1920s, usually
quoting the British The Gramophone magazine about some aftermarket
attachment made of rubber tubing that supposedly dramatically improved the
tone quality of gramophones called a "lifebelt."   I have "goggled" this &
found discussions of it from 1926 issues of The Gramophone as well as a
photo but the photo is too small to see what the thing is.    Can any on the
list enlighten me as to what a "lifebelt" actually is, how it works & if
it's use results in an actual sonic improvement on acoustic machines?    I
am always happy to have my antique phonographs perform as well as possible
since I play some nearly every day.

Jim Cartwright

Immortal Performances, Inc.