http://goo.gl/aTVPI

See photos 7 & 9 on the page. According to a short description at the bottom of
the page, the Lifebelt is a piece of rubber tubing that sits between the tone
arm and reproducer. From what I've read online, it's supposed to minimize
blasting and record wear, while improving bass response. My guess is that it
was a bit of quackery.

Regards,
Loran