Greetings Doctor:

I am not sure that 'correct' is a word to apply to minor variations on Edison
machines.  The machines were assembled from parts and shipped as fast as they
could.  Variations from suppliers and from their own factory mechanisms were to
be expected.

The B-60 was a 1913-14  machine.  It was sometime in this period that a
decision was made to use the grille cloth rather than the more expensive and
more time consuming wood graining of the horns.  It really should not be a
surprise to find both in a machine as production brought the cabinets together
with the mechanisms as one of the last steps in assembly.  I don't think I have
ever seen a B-60 that did not have grille cloth original from the factory; but,
I would not rule out a machine that never had cloth.  As for the wood grained
horns, these may have been ordered that way long before production of the
machine.  There were many production problems with the motor of these early DD
machines and sometimes the assembly was halted to redesign the motor.  No doubt
earlier horns had stockpiled and were used as production resumed.  So, you
could have a wood grained horn from early 1913 going into a grille clothed
cabinet of 1914.  Had the fire not come along in 1914, you might h
 ave seen these models without the wood grained horns and only flat black horns
behind grille cloth.

These are the type of things that I would find interesting to look for at the
Edison Site.  Too bad the Site has such limited access to serious researchers.

Best wishes,

Al