The main problem with finding set screws, is not the 5-40 thread, it is the
slot, as opposed to a socket head. I have a local fastener company that stocks
a bazillion screws of all types and shapes and has plenty of stock, but slotted
are real hard to find, unless they are new old stock. Collectors of antique
machinery of all types have bought up all of the available stock of slotted
screws. I recently searched for any size slotted set screws for my restoration
of a Fairy Phono Lamp - no luck - not that they might be out there somewhere,
just not commonly available any more.