Hi Steve:

My notes differ from the numbers you had.  I have Standard S#51888 as having
clips but by S#52180 shipped without them but having the set screw.

I have often said that Edison machines were assembled but not on a perfectly
inline assembly line.  Early parts at the bottom of a parts bin often ended up
on later machines, within reason.  It would not surprise me that newer screw
securing carriage arms were put on top of earlier clip arms and those clip arms
were put on later when the bottom of the bin was reached.

Steve, since you are THE Edison Reproducer expert, how do you explain that
Edison kept making Reproducers with the adjusting arms long after all the
machines had alignment pins and the securing screws?  I cannot imagine a
scenario that results in adjusting arm equipped Reproducers being produced with
high serial numbers so much later than the clips were phased out.

How I would love to have research privileges at the Site...  Oh well, these
esoteric questions may be answered by some future scholar.

Regards,

Al