The first style XII is a little plainer than the later XII.  The doors
over the horn are very thin.  The later XII has a bit of fancy trim that runs
around the machine under the lid and the doors over the horn are slightly
taller.  I think the model was made for slightly over a year and production
must have been quite evenly split between the two styles.  I think the
mechanical parts were the same for each style.
     I think it's very interesting that when Victor introduced less expensive
table model Victrolas, like the table model X and slightly later the IX, the
top of the horn was open and the motor sat in the horn.  Any noise produced by
the motor came out through the horn.  It must have been an effort to use up the
more obsolete motors.  One does not normally find evidence where Victor
blatantly sacrificed quality and performance. Wouldn't it be interesting to sit
in a meeting where these decisions were made by
Victor executives?

Jerry Blais