In 1982 they started to make the US penny out of copper plated zinc.   I loved
getting Canadian money to spend when I visited Canada, I still have pennies,
nickels, dimes, quarters, Loonies, Toonies along with some current and early
coins half dollars and some early and current pre loonie dollars.   Have you
seen a US or Canadian half dime? Canada has beautiful coins, they all have
proof like finishes when new.  I was most impressed with the breast cancer
awareness quarter with the painted white and pink ribbon on the back, I was
there the year they came out which was 2006.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Canada-25-cents-quarter-dollar-Pink-Ribbon-End-Breast-Cancer-/121065655523