Add me to the list.  I just had this happen to me recently on th'Bay with
a guy trying to auction off an oddball Columbia made in the UK that was
one of the in-between hybrids they made of a Viva-Tonal and the older
Grafonolas.

The seller was asking a little too high for the piece so I asked him if he
would consider selling it for slightly less but ONLY IF it did not sell
for his price (or more) during his auction.  I wasn't lowballing him to
end his auction and prevent him from riding out the last second bidding
war he was hoping for.  It was only if it didn't sell.  I was offering him
a safe "plan B."

He basically replied that if he couldn't get his price, which was as low
as he would ever go, he would chop it up and sell it for parts and make
more.

I wanted to congratulate him then and there for his confidence in
recognizing how the vast silent numbers of US buyers of obscure UK machine
parts on a US-only eBay item, were only waiting for him to part it out,
but I didn't.  I was dumbfounded at the naked greed, ignorance, and
impatience behind the sentiment, which as everyone so far has pointed out,
is all too prevalent.

I know this Viva-Tonal wasn't as rare a gem as the Edison's you guys have
been justly mourning, and he was probably trying to get me to bid, but
it's the same stupid, impatient M.O.:

Can't make a buck selling it whole?  Chop it up and (maybe) make more!

I realize times are tough and that the majority of sellers on eBay aren't
selling because they are suffering from abundance of funds, space, or
time, but apparently you can add respect and intelligence as well.   eBay
was founded on the premise that one man's junk is another man's treasure.
That said, have some respect for the item you're selling.  Do your
homework.  Sometimes the sum of the parts are less than the whole.

Arvin