Well, I for one am a HUGE fan of the 8-9. The sound is excellent, the machine has a great look to it (and beautifully blends in with my Arts & Crafts furniture), and it's not so big as to take over the room. They don't have that 1920s walnut dining room look to them which looks out of place anywhere besides a 1920s movie set. I see them offered for around $800-1,500 at Union, but usually quite a bit less at auction.

Also, they have a metal horn like the English Re-Entrant models which some believe gives a better sound.

Besides, Victor told it's dealers that they would appeal to "Americans of foreign extraction" and "owners of lunch rooms and confectioner shops" so I guess my Grandfather George Dimpapas and my Grandfather Apostolos Glastris would have had them in their respective diners and candy shops in the 1920s.

-----Original Message----- From: Richard
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2014 6:03 PM
To: phono-l@oldcrank.org
Subject: [Phono-L] Orthophonic vs. Electric?

I've never owned an orthophonic machine, but have recently been offered the chance to buy one (see other post), and I'm wondering if I should. My main concern has been one of sound quality; I've always suspected that acoustic records sound better on older, acoustic machines, and orthophonic/electric records sound best on electric machines. But this opportunity has me wondering: How do orthophonic/electric records sound when played on an orthophonic machine sound compared to when they're played on an electric machine (say, from the late 1920's or early 1930's)? All opinions are welcome, but what I'm really looking for is a comparison -- not just "better" or "worse," but how they're different. And how do older acoustic records sound on an orthophonic machine? (In my humble opinion, they don't sound all that great on an electrical machine.) Finally, if I were to add one orthophonic machine to my collection someday, which one would you recommend if my top consideration is sound q
uality?