From: phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org [phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org] on behalf of
Andrew Baron [a...@popyrus.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2014 11:15 PM
To: Antique Phonograph List
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Orthophonic vs. Electric?

Thanks Greg for this wonderfully concise and broadly comprehensive treatise.
Andrew Baron
Santa Fe

On Mar 15, 2014, at 6:27 PM, Greg Bogantz wrote:

>   Here's the short history of the fidelity of recorded sound:  The earliest
> acoustic recording technology was VERY midrangey with no bass and no treble
> being recorded into the grooves.  Likewise, the earliest acoustic players
> were also VERY midrangey and incapable of reproducing bass or treble.  When
> you listen to an early acoustic record on an early acoustic player, they
> don't really "complement" each other so much as they do the same damage to
> the sound.  They sound like a loud telephone.  That is, you get a VERY, VERY
> or double-midrangey sound.  The orthophonic era brought with it much more
> extended and flatter frequency response in both bass and treble, both in the
> recording equipment and in the acoustic playback.  The net effect of playing
> an early electric recording on an acoustic orthophonic player is one of
> flatter, more extended frequency response.  In short, a BIG improvement over
> the pre-ortho days.  If you play an acoustic record on an ortho player, it
> sounds le
 ss midrangey and blatty than when played on an early player.  Some people
don't like this sound and consider it "not authentic", but it is actually
flatter response than the "complementary" noise you get from a pre-ortho
player.  Likewise, if you play an electric recording on an old acoustic player,
you get a more blatty midrangey sound than if you play it on a more modern
player.

>   The earliest electronic players were actually worse sounding than the
> contemporary ortho acoustic players.  The Victor 9-40, for example, which has
> both ortho acoustic as well as early electronic playback sounds better in the
> ortho acoustic mode than it does in the all-electronic mode.  The reason is
> that the earliest electronics and speakers were pretty primitive. The early
> Victor electric players were odd designs in that they used an electric
> reproducer-driver that was amplified by the orthophonic horn.  This would
> have worked out better if the driver design was better, but the net effect
> did not produce as good a fidelity as the contemporary all-acoustic players.
> They will play loudly, but their frequency response is pretty poor.  The
> electronic players from most manufacturers were generally not very good until
> about 1929.  The Victor RE-45 of 1929 was a revelation to listeners back
> then.  It is vastly improved over the earlier designs, and it compares very
> favorably
 with much more modern players.  If you are a collector of 1920s vintage
radios, made it a point to listen to a Victor RE-45 or RE-75 radio/phono
combination.  The same radio and speaker was also used the in the radio-only
models R-32 and R-52.  There was no finer sounding radio set or radio/phono
made in 1929.  Electric recording playback on one of these sets is genuinely
satisfying.

> Greg Bogantz
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard" <richard_ru...@hotmail.com>

 d q
>> uality?

> ---
> protection is active.

This email message and any attachments may contain confidential information. If
you are not the intended recipient, you are prohibited from using the
information in any way, including but not limited to disclosure of, copying,
forwarding or acting in reliance on the contents. If you have received this
email by error, please immediately notify me by return email and delete it from
your email system. Thank you.