a little more info...

I've just tried a few public oracle-sql tools.
Seems to have the same problem.
I can connect just fine to the database using sqlplus.
But when I try the hand-compiled tools, linked against
libclntsh.so, it doenst properly authenticate to the remote system.

Hey... $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus isnt linked against
libclntsh.so, funnily enough.

any ideas? Some special magic I need to put in tnsnames.ora, thta I've
othrewise left out?

sample, that works fine with sqlplus;

TEST2.STAGING.our.com =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = staging)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = test2.staging.our.com)
      (SID =  test2)