Christian,

Are you using an ODBC driver or just the unified-ODBC functions?
If a driver, then I suggest changing vendors - that performance is in no way
representative of ODBC in general.
In addition, to improve performance even more when using similar queries,
first use odbc_prepare to prepare a parameter-bound query and then use
odbc_execute to create the result set for specific parameter values.

You may wish to try our Multi-Tier drivers at http://www.openlinksw.com.
Multi-Tier UDA is exceptionally fast and secure, and downloads with a free,
non-expiring 2 user license.
In addition, free support is available at
http://www.openlinksw.com/support/suppindx.htm

Please let me know if you require assistance.

Best regards,
Andrew Hill
Director of Technology Evangelism
OpenLink Software  http://www.openlinksw.com
Universal Data Access & Data Integration Technology Providers