Thanks for the reply Manual.

The updating IS done with one single query - but the problem is that if two
people are editing the same car, the second update will overwrite the
first.  Not a huge problem - and the chance of it happening is almost nil -
but there is still the possibility..  Changing databases seems a little
extreme - and not possible with our web host.

Tom