So what you mean is:

If someone clicks on a car to edit, a txt file is written (maybe called the
carID.txt).  Then if someone else clicks on that car to edit it, it says
that it is already being edited by someone else because the txt file
exists?  So what happens if that person who clicked first closes his
browser before updating the car?  How can that text file be automatically
erased?

I think I'll just assume that this wont be a problem, and if someone
overwrites someone elses edit then too bad.. :-)

Tom