altho this may not help at all, rather than bashing away with php+SQL
statements, i usually just pilot my sql in phpmyadmin, then once it works
with set values (ie SELECT * FROM people WHERE personID='3' rahter than
personID='$personID' or something) i can then drop that SQL into my script.

HTH
Beau