Well I found out that the reason I got the error message was that the
--with-oci8 option was looking for libclntsh.so.8.0
I made a symlink of this which pointed to the libclntsh.so.9.0 that
comes with oracle 9i.  This was enough to fool the configure script and
allowed php to compile, but none of the oracle functions worked.  I
guess we will just have to wait until the developers add support in.
Could you please give me some more information as to how you set up the
oracle odbc drivers?

Thanks,
-Lee