Well, I was able to modify the main configure script and the
configure.m4 script in the ext/oci8 directory to detect 9i, and doing so
allowed the configure process to complete and php to compile.  When I
did a phpinfo() command it showed php as having oracle support, but did
not list anything under the "libraries used" section.  This is the same
thing that would happen if I left the configure scripts unchanged and
just made a symlink to libclntsh.so.9.0.  phpinfo() would still say that
oci8 support was there but would not list any libraries used.  Also in
both of these cases when I tried to use any oracle functions,
(ora_logon, etc) I got an undefined function error.  I don't WANT to use
odbc, but if thats my only choice I guess I'll have to for awhile.

-Lee