Yes there is:

Using a php function called: nl2br()
When the data is called from the db and printed to the page use $textdata =
nl2br($textdata)
This will preserve the enter button being pressed.

Regards:
Russ

On Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:54:16 -0600 Jay Fitzgerald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ok, I am still fairly new at PHP and MySQL also, so please bear with me.
>

> TASK: I have a client that wants to have job openings listed on their site
> and they want to be able to add, edit and delete the postings themselves. I
> would do this in flat-file format but there is the risk of that file size
> getting too large and slowing down the server.
>

> SOLUTION: I have created a MySQL database that will hold all the postings
> in a table called 'jobs' and have created a PHP form that will post this
> jobs into the db.
>
> PROBLEM: When I go to the PHP form and enter all of the pertinent job
> information, there is one specific field that will have to have carriage
> returns/line breaks in it between paragraphs. Everything is working except
> for this. Is there a way whenever the user presses <ENTER>, that either
> PHP/MySQL will convert this into a <BR> tag only when being displayed in a
> browser and not in the db??
>

> Can anyone out there please help me with this? I am available off-list as
> well if it will be easier to pass code back and forth. Any assistance is
> greatly appreciated!
>

> Should you have any questions, comments or concerns, feel free to call me
> at 318-338-2034.
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
> Jay Fitzgerald, Design Director - CSBW-A, CPW-A, CWD-A, CEMS-A
> Bayou Internet..............(888)
> 30-BAYOU........................http://www.bayou.com
> Mississippi Internet.......(800)
> MISSISSIPPI...............http://www.mississippi.net
> Vicksburg Online..........(800)
> MISSISSIPPI................http://www.vicksburg.com

  "Believe nothing - consider everything"

  Russ Michell
  Anglia Polytechnic University Webteam
  Room 1C 'The Eastings' East Road, Cambridge

  e: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  w: www.apu.ac.uk/webteam

  www.theruss.com