Rob -

I think I see what you're doing: you're concatenating $message with something
else (the HTML output following line 357?). Problem is, you're just stating
the right hand side of what should be an assignment. The concatenation should
be:

$variable = $variable .= 'HTML output';

and it looks like you just have

$variable .= 'HTML output';

although you didn't post enough code for me to be sure of this.

If you didn't mean to concatenate something, trying taking the dot before the
equal sign out of the statement.

If I'm completely wrong as to what you're trying to do, apologies.

cheers,
db

Rob Day wrote:

> I've written a small script that processes a form from a webpage and sends
> the submitted data as an HTML e-mail that has the form all filled out
> already. I've gotten smaller versions of this script to work without any
> problem just to test the idea.I can't figure out why I'm now getting the
> following error:
> Parse error: parse error in /home/httpd/cgi-bin/rday/lists/do_listapp.php3
> on line 358
>
> Here is the offending code:
> 353     if ($moderation == "no"){
> 354             $message .= " checked";
> 355     }
> 356
> 357$message .= '
> 358            >no<br>
> 359            <p>Answer "yes" if you want all postings to the list to be
> sent to
> 360              a moderator for approval before distribution to the
> list.</p>
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dan Barton
Terrestrial Program Biologist
Asst. Data Manager
Point Reyes Bird Observatory