Store the connection strings in an include file preferably outside the
wed root. You can include files with a fully resolved path, or using the
php include_path variable if you have access to the configuration.
Alternately, if you don't have access to directories outside the
webroot, put the

--
"Out beyond the ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing
there is a field. I'll meet you there."