in that case, check the php manual under the section titled

Features -> HTTP Authentication With PHP

there is a nice example, which you should be able to modify to do things (i
have it working with pulling details from an XML file and then using them as
the required user/pass for authentication)

http://www.dentedreality.com.au/webpad/

if you download and install, then you need to use admin/admin as the
user/pass for the first time you modify the system settings. (it has zero
docuemntation so far :)

have fun

beau