From: news.php.net [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2002 6:17 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP-DB] HTTP authentication

Dear Beau,

Thanks for your answer, and indeed.. it doesn't have too much to do with
databases, although if an example of authentication using a database would
be great.

And I was a bit vague on which webserver (indeed Apache). And I do have
command line access. However in my initial message I said that directory
authentication (with .htaccess) doesn't work. And I've tried more than once
to get it to work.

So if you could still help me, or anyone else I would greatly appreciate it!

Yours,

Kevin
"Beau Lebens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> not that this has anything to do with databases... ([php-db])
>
> assuming;
> 1. you are using apache
> 2. you have command-line access to your server
> 3. your webhost has htaccess enabled and configured to use ".htaccess" as
> the security file
>
> you should be able to drop a file called (usally) ".htaccess" into the
> directory you want to secure. you then go to the command line and do
> something like
>
> $ htpasswd -c "/home/you/htbin/.htpasswd" username
>
> which creates (-c) the password file (/home/you/htbin/.htpasswd) and adds
> user called "username" to it. when you hit enter it will ask for a
password
> (twice).
>
> now the .htaccess file which is in your "to-be-secured" directory needs to
> look something like this;
>
> ==== snip
> AuthUserFile /path/to/htpasswd/file
> AuthName "Name to Appear in Box"
> AuthType Basic
>
> <Limit GET POST>
> require valid-user
> </Limit>
> ==== snip
>
> that example looks in "/path/to/htpasswd/file" and confirms that the
> user/pass combintation is a "valid-user" (any valid combo from the file)
and