It shouldn't. It will affect any " or ' coming out.
For example, for going in to db:

$mystring = "Hi there Mr O'Neil.";
$mystring = addslashes($mystring);

echo $mystring; would result in  "Hi there Mr O\'Neil."

When coming out of db make sure you use the stripslashes function to return
the original value that was created upon entry

$mystring = stripslashes($mystring); would result back to "Hi there Mr
O'Neil."

HTH Joe :)