> Does anyone know if the date function returns false if it cannot convert
the
> specified date/time to the format?  If not, does anyone have a rule set
they
> use to verify the date is a valid convertible date?  I need to update a
row
> in MSSQL, and it will fail if the date is incorrect.  I've validated for
the
> basic things, but just am not sure what the best way would be to validate
> the actual date itself.  I was thinking of RegExp, but not certain if that
> would really work for multiple date formats for example:
>
> March 15, 2002
> 03/15/2002
> 3/15/2002
>
> and so on and so forth.  The field actually requests a dd/mm/yy format,
but
> you know how people follow instructions.

Use "YYYYMMDD HH:MM:SS" (without "-") format date when inserts or updates
fields in MSSQL, MYSQL etc.
For example: INSERT INTO tblxxx (fielddatetime,fieldother) VALUES ('20020311
18:33:44','something else')

I use it in that way and it is the best method I think.
Mayby you may use odbc structure {ts 'yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss'}
For example: INSERT INTO tblxxx (fielddatetime,fieldother) VALUES ({ts
'20020311 18:33:44'},'something else')

good luck with dates ;-)
BTW I recommend you to explore MSSQL Book Online! It has quite good and a
lot of knowledge.

Konrad