Whoops :),
Yes, this is using phpMyAdmin, trying to use the "Insert data from a
textfile into table" function, which uploads a file and the attempts to
LOAD DATA INFILE.  Like I said below, it worked on PHP 4.1.2, then when
upgraded to PHP 4.2.1, it gave the error :

"The file '/tmp/phpr4WYQY' must be in the database directory or be
readable by all"

I ran through the phpMyAdmin scripts and watched it up until it tried to
load the file, and it wouldn't read it.  The /tmp directory is
"drwxrwxrwx" and the files in it are "-rw------", but I don't know how
to get those changed in PHP.  Anyway, on a different server, I could
have sworn I got the same problem but the uploaded files in the /tmp
directory were "-rwxrwxrwx".

Any ideas?

Thanks