Ok, if anyone else is having the same trouble with PHP 4.2.1, David
Robley's suggestion (Thank you David!) works.  I am not to proud to have
missed the obvious :)

If you are having trouble loading files (LOAD INFILE...) with PHP into
MySQL, just do a chmod($file, 0777), and it works.  Not sure why this
version of PHP doesn't give full permissions in the /tmp directory, but.....

Thanks all.