On Jul 21, 2007, at 7:53 AM, aldnin wrote:

When I try to send this query (select 'lacarrière' as test;) to a UTF8 initialized pgsql-database (8.2.4) from PHP 5.2.3 I get this error:

ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xe87265

I use pg_query for the query delivery.

Client Encoding is set to:
 client_encoding
 UTF8
(1 row)

pg_client_encoding() also deliveres me "UTF8".

My guess is that your PHP is not setup to handle UTF8, and is really sending something else. UTF8 is the default client encoding because that is the encoding of the database. It does not mean that PHP has set the right one. Before running your test, try executing this: "SET client_encoding TO LATIN1;" and see if that fixes it.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL