Hi

Please configure your email client so we don't receive 5 copies of your
mail.

> I already did this and all encoding settings are right, but I figured out
> something more.
>
> 1) Using pg_query for fetching UTF8 data from database is working properly.
> Of course when I try to output it direclty then I get something like that as
> output "lacarrière" - but when I use utf8_decode() on the UTF8-bytes I get
> it the right way "lacarrière".

This indicates that PHP not using UTF-8.  That output is typical of
UTF-8 output as Latin characters.

> 2) I found another PHP application which is able to insert UTF8 data
> properly, phpPgAdmin, but it seems that it uses the ADODB-Layers for
> executing SQL-statements.
> Well, the fact that phpPgAdmin runs on the same machine handling properly
> UTF8 data means that my PHP is well configurated handling UTF8.

Not true, it only indicates that phpPgAdmin is is configured to handle
UTF-8 correctly.

> 3) When I add to my DB-Class utf8_encode() on the querystring I send to the
> database, it works properly, the insert is fine, so that's a temporary
> solution for my first problem.

> 4) When I get data from database I usually would have to do a utf8_decode on
> EVERY string which is fetched from database. So my solution is now, to handle
> all strings comming UTF8 from database as they are comming with UTF8-bytes,
> and really only then  when I need to decode them I decode them for further
> use.

Once again indicating your data needs to be converted from some other
character set.

I had similar problems getting PHP to work with UTF-8 and MySQL.  Many
of PHP's function are not multibyte aware and assume a Latin character set.

What, if any, output buffering are you using? What is your
default_charset set to?

--
Niel Archer