At present, the sockets extension uses integers as file descriptors
(e.g. socket() return value). At first I thought maybe they should
have been resources until I tried writing some socket code, when I
realized that it's easier under many circumstances for them to be
ints. Is this going to be behaviour that can be relied upon?

Thanks,

Torben