At 12:44 PM 3/29/2001 -0800, Lars Torben Wilson wrote:

>Slightly different topic--is it a problem that call-time pass-by-ref
>is being deprecated but several functions require it in order to work?

It is possible. Functions which require their argument by reference should
ask for it to be sent by reference and not expect the calling person to
write foo(&$bar). The BY_REF_ALLOW is a remainder of PHP 3 and is obsolete
with today's reference counting (I'm pretty sure about this but I just woke
up so I might be saying BS :).

Andi