On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Zeev Suraski wrote:

> We need to do some thinking about this 4.1 business, before we actually do
> anything.  Please don't branch anything at this point - we've had a fairly
> bad experience with premature branching with PHP 3.1.

don't worry, I wasn't planning on creating the branch :)

> We need to get a clear understanding of what's going to be the main changes
> in PHP 4.1, and then shift 99% of the development to it.  We've been
> discussing this in the group@ forum, and should now move the discussion
> here.  Generally, the main differences we came up with so far are (as per
> Stig):
> - Move most of the non-popular extensions out of the release and into PEAR
> (requires lots of PEAR work to be made)

definetly :)

deciding which extensions are non-popular should be, uhhhhhhhhh, fun. :)))

> - Always build the CGI
> - No language-level (i.e. Zend Engine) changes scheduled for this release
> at this time
>
> In my opinion, we shouldn't do anything on the repository level until the
> new PEAR services are in place.  If we do, we're going to shoot ourselves
> in the foot - we won't be able to release 4.1, and we won't really have an
> updated CVS to release 4.0.x from.  It's probably premature to branch at
> this time.

I'd agree with that.

I think 4.1 is also when we were planning on implementing the naming
conventions for the functions (breaking compat).

> In my opinion #2, the changes you mentioned aren't necessarily something
> that belongs in 4.1 - they can easily find themselves in 4.0 (you can add
> the new XSLT stuff under a different extension, for instance).  That's just
> my opinion though - you can wait :)

definetly.  just saying when the 4.1 branch would be usable for me. ;)

-Sterling