On 17 Apr 2001, Stig Sæther Bakken wrote:

> [Sterling Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]

> > >   Is there any timeframe for when PHP 4.1.0 will be released?
> > >

> >    I don't know, but I'd like to start a branch for the 4.1.0 code in a
> >    week or so (or sooner, that's just when I'll have a use for it).  I've
> >    got a bunch of stuff to put in, a new XSLT extension (syntax *will*
> >    change, but speed, stability and memory usage are greatly improved, as
> >    well as allowing multiple XSLT backends, initial support for
> >    Sablotron and libxslt).  I'd also like to put the ADT stuff in 4.1
> >    (nearing completion, still have to work up a good proposal).  There are
> >    also some changes in cURL which don't really change the API but would
> >    be good to announce along with 4.1 (persistent connections)...  That's
> >    just my stuff (I think I have a bit more for 4.1 too :)...
> >
> >    I have a feeling from the todo that other people have a bunch of
> >    patches or things "todo" for 4.1 as well.  Therefore I think setting up
> >    a branch at this time or pretty soon would be a good idea.  That way we
> >    can start preparing for and stabilizing 4.1.
>
> One of the most important changes I suggested for 4.1 was to move
> stuff like the XSLT extension, cURL etc. out of the php4 CVS module
> and into PEAR.  There they can live their own lives, producing stable
> output now and again.  The PHP distribution bundles the latest stable
> release from each extension/package we want to bundle, but until then
> they are completely separate from PHP itself.

Ok, let me just see if I understand...

move everything out of the distribution (from mysql popular extensions
like mysql to hardly used ones like qtdom), and then, come release time,
package a predefined set of PEAR modules and extensions we want to package
for PHP4.

++++++++1
;)

> I don't see 4.1 happening if we have to keep coordinating the TODO
> lists of 80 extensions.

I'd agree with that.

-Sterling