> > iconv P
>
> The iconv library in itself is useful enough that we should try to
> keep this one within PHP, maybe even integrate it tighter.

I hope so too.
iconv has some important role espetially for handling multibyte
encoding.
I am also preparing a extension module called jstring for handing
janapese multibyte string.
This module includes some encoding translation functionality
between Unicode and some other encodings.
It will be also elementary tool for japanese PHP users.
I want to keep tight integration between PHP and encoding
translation functions because of performance and useability.