On Thu, 10 May 2001, Andi Gutmans wrote:

>At 04:03 PM 5/9/2001 -0400, Jon Parise wrote:
>>On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 08:28:55PM +0200, Jani Taskinen wrote:
>>
>> > Remove. Actually..should that mysql_db_query() be deprecated too?
>> > Starting 4.0.6 with warning?
>>
>>That sounds like a good move to me (provided it's just a warning
>>for now).  It probably shouldn't be completely removed until 4.1.
>
>I'd save the warning for 4.1.

Really? And can you please give any reasons? And some reasoning
for all these other stupid things that are dragged along from version
to version and not started to be depreciated (with a warning..) ?

The crap about breaking someone's scripts is not any good
reason. If people don't bother to read NEWS files, it's their own
fault if their scripts break, IMNSHO. I'd like to see the 'break soon'
movement to get stronger among the core developers. As there really
are no alternatives for doing this. If you do it slowly, it will hurt
more than if it's done very quickly. Like pulling a tooth..

Bloating a language with dozens of 'backwards compatibility
aliases', with functions which are not supposed to be used anymore, etc.
is worse thing than maybe breaking someone's scripts. There
are a lot of people out there who are starting to use PHP at this very
moment. If these depreciated things are not removed soon, the removing of
them will bite more and more people when (if never?) it's done.

And saying here that the new users don't know about these..well, go
and read some of those PHP tutorials out there..many of them were written
before PHP 4 was even released. As also many books.
There are lot of code snippets to be downloaded out there which might
also contain these depreciated aliases/functions/language constructs.

--Jani

p.s. Why it has to be always me who rants? Anyway, I will keep ranting
until something is really DONE..and not just talked about..even
if I start sounding like a broken record.