own log file...
I can confirm that the gdb trace for ALL the many dead process, which are in running
state, gives the three lines:
#0  0x4012c23e in chunk_free ()
#1  0x4012bfaa in __cfree ()
#2  0x80fbcbf in shutdown_memory_manager ()
(it happened this morning too)

Is there some way to know which script was executing just before the child died,
please tell me!

It would help a lot to track this down if you could find
out if this happens by running some script.

I'm using php 4.0.7-dev (downloaded from the CVS tree), Apache 1.3.20 on a P3 600 1
Gig RAM.
After some hours that the server is running, in no particularly loaded confdition, CPU
and memory utilization grows abnormally, making the server unusable.
"top" shows that 4 o 5 httpd processes are eating 20% CPU each, and are all in
"running" state. I managed to attach a gdb to one of these processes, and here's the
result:

Attaching to program `/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd', Pid 21784
Reading symbols from /lib/libpam.so.0...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libdl.so.2...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libcrypt.so.1...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libresolv.so.2...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libm.so.6...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libnsl.so.1...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libdb.so.3...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libnss_compat.so.2...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libnss_files.so.2...done.
0x4012c23e in chunk_free ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x4012c23e in chunk_free ()
#1  0x4012bfaa in __cfree ()
#2  0x80fbcbf in shutdown_memory_manager ()

This is all I get. I saw MANY MANY bug reports with similarities to this one in the
db. The only solution is stopping and restarting apache. In apache's error_log i get
many lines with "child xxx still did not exit...sending a SIGTERM" and "child xxx
still did not exit...sending a SIGKILL" as soon as i stop it.
Let me know if I can make something to help you out more!

ATTENTION! Do NOT reply to this email!
To reply, use the web interface found at http://bugs.php.net/?id=11676&edit=2