I thought I would add my "tuppence" (= 2 pence = 0.02 GBP) worth:

I've been building with --enable-memory-limit to enable the peak mem usage stats in my
log files.
Recently I noticed that "all of a sudden" my scripts were chewing up more than 8MB
(the default limit in php.ini) and PHP was bailing out.
At first I thought that it was a problem in my scripts, but once the message had been
reported no more PHP scripts would be served, each failing with the memory limit
exceeded message.  The only option being to restart Apache, or rebuild without the
memory limit.

I am using PHP from CVS and first encountered the problem just after the CVS server
was brought back up last time (about a week ago).

Perhaps these are related, or perhaps this is related to that wierd memory bug that
surfaced just before that?

--Wez.