From:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Operating system: all
PHP version:      4.0.6
PHP Bug Type:     Feature/Change Request
Bug description:  ASP/ColdFusion Application type freature

I'd like PHP to have a feature that behaves similar to ASPs Application (global.asa)
file.

For example if I want to store the sitemap in a database to generate a navigation menu
it's unneccessary to query the database upon every request, instead I'd like to store
that informatoin in a "php-application-wide" storage
(Maybe $PHP_APPLICATION_VARS[] array).

I can see it could behave similar to the session functions. When session functions are
shared between requests, the application is shared between requests.

To do this, you could start an application with:
application_start("name");

I've not been thinking much about security, but I reckon it should not be possible to
hijack an application, therefore there needs to be a (filebased) system that
determines which files can be within an application. Maybe with a path? like:

application_start("name", "/path/to/where/my/files/are");
which means that all files have to be within that folder or in it.

There should also be a way to determine if the application is started or not, this to
run the code upon start. Like;

if(!application_exsists("name")) {
// This code is being run when the application starts
application_start("name", "/path/to/files/");
}

This would reduce server load and eliminate "hacks" in this area.

Comments?

Cheers,

/Jocke Selin - jocke.selincite.com / [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
Edit Bug report at: http://bugs.php.net/?id=11815&edit=1