Hello,

I'd recommand to check out the SRM project at www.vl-srm.net. This is
especailly designed for this. THe integrating with PHP is not an a very
high level at this moment (IE, no $HTTP_APP_DATA_VARS is set), but that is
just a matter of time. The functionality is there at this moment, and is
now being tested.

If you need some more information, you can mail me privately, or write to
the [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list.

regards,
Derick

On 1 Jul 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> From:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Operating system: all
> PHP version:      4.0.6
> PHP Bug Type:     Feature/Change Request
> Bug description:  ASP/ColdFusion Application type freature
>
> I'd like PHP to have a feature that behaves similar to ASPs Application (global.asa)
>file.
>
> For example if I want to store the sitemap in a database to generate a navigation
>menu it's unneccessary to query the database upon every request, instead I'd like to
>store that informatoin in a "php-application-wide" storage
> (Maybe $PHP_APPLICATION_VARS[] array).
>
> I can see it could behave similar to the session functions. When session functions
>are shared between requests, the application is shared between requests.
>
> To do this, you could start an application with:
> application_start("name");
>
> I've not been thinking much about security, but I reckon it should not be possible
>to hijack an application, therefore there needs to be a (filebased) system that
>determines which files can be within an application. Maybe with a path? like:
>
> application_start("name", "/path/to/where/my/files/are");
> which means that all files have to be within that folder or in it.
>
> There should also be a way to determine if the application is started or not, this
>to run the code upon start. Like;
>
> if(!application_exsists("name")) {
> // This code is being run when the application starts
> application_start("name", "/path/to/files/");
> }
>
> This would reduce server load and eliminate "hacks" in this area.
>
> Comments?
>
> Cheers,
>
> /Jocke Selin - jocke.selincite.com / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> --
> Edit Bug report at: http://bugs.php.net/?id=11815&edit=1
>

> --

Derick Rethans