On Mon, 06 Aug 2001, Zeev Suraski wrote:
> Drawbacks:
> - It's slow.  We encourage putting expensive operations into the
> module_init, using dl() means they end up being done multiple times.
>
> - Under Apache, it's even worse - since in addition to slowliness, it also
> ends up consuming significantly more memory, since any memory the extension
> allocates in module_init (e.g., the function entries it registers) cannot
> be shared between the processes.

This doesn't apply under the standalone version, which is what I'm
mainly worried about.

> - It prevents the engine from optimizing function calls at compile time, by
> looking at what kind of arguments these functions expect.  This is left for
> run-time, which results in significantly slower run-time performance.

Can you quantify "significantly"?

> - Literally, none of the extensions properly cleans up after itself,
> leaving PHP in various degrees of instability.  This rarely translates to
> crashes, because people don't usually have a script in which they dl() and
> then use a class, another script in which they use the class without
> dl()'ing first, and call the 2nd script right after calling the 1st
> one.  Still, from a cleanliness perspective and in theory, it's bad.

I see. I wasn't aware that the extension was supposed to clean up the
classes it registers. I will fix PHP-GTK behavior on this.

-Andrei

Linux is like living in a teepee.
No Windows, no Gates, Apache in house.
                    - Usenet signature