On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> But a second call to Header("Content-Encoding:") will replace the first
> one.  If no content has gone out yet, overwriting a previous
> Content-Encoding header is trivial.  I am not sure what you mean when you
> say that this doesn't do the job for some browsers.  Do they not like a
> blank content-encoding header?  It's not like you end up sending two
> content-encoding headers.

Yea, we tried, it looks like some defaults are assumed if an empty
Content-Encoding header is present. I'll have to confirm this tomorrow.

> We could add some sort of UnHeader() function which calls Apache's
> ap_table_unset() function, but I am not sure if other SAPI backends have
> support for this.

That would probably have a lot of uses, and would solve our problem. Still,
semantically, it seems like when output buffering is aborted with an
ob_end_clean(), the headers that ob_gzhandler sets should be as well, although
I guess that's rather difficult if people start writing their own output
buffering handlers..

John