At 17:43 17-08-01, Cynic wrote:
>This doesn't hold water. display_errors is on in php.ini-dist anyways,
>so what do you gain by display_startup_errors off?

Quite a lot.  Even if your code is rock solid, and has no warnings, errors,
or notices whatsoever - or if you have error_reporting(0) at the top of it
- it's still possible to make PHP emit startup errors at will.  That's
exactly their meaning - errors that can occur due to a bogus request or
during the request initialization, as opposed to a bug in the script.

>  NB you can use
>custom error handler that won't display full physical paths, so WTF?

Nope, you can't.  Startup errors occur before you can call custom handlers,
before you can even declare them.  Beside, remember, you're talking about
the default setting here.  Most people will never know what this option
means, or what are its implications, or both, and definitely wouldn't be
bothered to consider the ways to work around it :)

>BTW, what is the possibility of introducing new functionality to the
>default error handler, where the file paths aren't physical paths by
>default, but URIs? I. e. with DOCUMENT_ROOT in /var/www/, instead of
>"E_WARNING: blabla in /var/www/foo/bar.php on line xxx"
>display
>"E_WARNING: blabla in /foo/bar.php on line xxx"
>??

This should be done at the user level.  There's no reason to do it in the C
level, which is much more complex.

>BTW, Zeev, could you please break your lines somewhere reasonable?
>It's quite unpleasant to read those loooooooooong lines. :) THX.

Hrm, which Email client today doesn't do word wrapping??

Zeev