Again, as mentioned before, this is suitable:

function _($string) { return gettext($string); }

once in your code. Voila, now you can still have your short cut, and we can
still have our consistent naming structure. Sure, it would be an adjustment
at first, but I personally believe it is worth it. We don't lose anything
other than maybe 5 minutes of confusion after upgrading. By making it VERY
clear in the release update, we can avoid major headache. For what it's
worth:

Many packages use `_' (a simple underline) as a keyword, and write
`_("Translatable string")' instead of `gettext ("Translatable string")'.
Further, the coding rule, from GNU standards, wanting that there is a space
between the keyword and the opening parenthesis is relaxed, in practice, for
this particular usage. So, the textual overhead per translatable string is
reduced to only three characters: the underline and the two parentheses.
However, even if GNU gettext uses this convention internally, it does not
offer it officially. The real, genuine keyword is truly `gettext' indeed. It
is fairly easy for those wanting to use `_' instead of `gettext' to declare:

#include <libintl.h>
#define _(String) gettext (String)

instead of merely using `#include <libintl.h>'.

-- end of paste

Even C's gettext doesn't build this in by default, it requires the DEVELOPER
to consciously make that decision.

Regards,

Cristopher Daniluk
President & CEO